We work with a lot of candidates, and we work advocating for many issues to improve the quality of life in our state.
There are several things that come up repetitively as we travel Louisiana from this age group:
- I don’t know what to do with this phase of my life
- I am angry that there is such a lack of services to help my older parents stay independent and out of nursing facilities
- More and more people my age are caring for their grand and great-grand children because working-age parents can’t afford child care services
In the Fall of 2019, nearly one-half of the state’s legislative seats will be uncontested elections. This gives older men and women the opportunity to run for office and we are here to encourage you.
We are a group of politically active men and women ourselves. We do not care which party you are registered with. We are not advocating for any particular service to utilize to help your campaign. But we are actively encouraging older Louisianans to do one thing: Seriously consider running for public office.
There are basics you need because as you’ve heard: All politics is local. But we add one caveat: Power to make decisions is never given unless you sign up to be at the table.
OLDER MEN AND WOMEN MAKING DECISIONS IN BATON ROUGE WILL RESULT IN A FAIRER, LESS POLITICAL AND MORE TRANSPARENT DIALOGUE DEDICATED TO HELPING FAMILIES IMPROVE THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE.
Here’s what you need to know:
- WHERE TO FIND OUT INFORMATION ABOUT THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS IN YOUR AREA
- HOW TO QUALIFY FOR OFFICE
THE BASICS ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED:
- A grassroots strategy to understand the office you seek and mobilize those how would support you in seeking it
- A plan to recruit supporters, donors and most importantly, voters
- A needs assessment of what you can provide your campaign and what you will need to get others to help you accomplish, both paid and unpaid
- An understanding of the three to five issues you believe are important to YOU and those you will represent
MOREOVER, YOU MUST WANT TO DO THIS!
- You must be able to ask people for their vote and their help
- You must be able to ask supporters for donations to help defray costs
- You must be willing to discuss issues in forums, meetings and press interviews
AS A CANDIDATE, YOU WILL HAVE HIGHS AND LOWS. Keep going!